Saturday, August 22, 2015

Chasing that elusive sub 30 min 5K and fuel (aka food)

So this morning I had a 10k race on the schedule as part of my half marathon training plan.  I couldn't find a 10K, but it happened to be the East Coast Surfing Championship weekend here at the beach and they have a 5K race.  In fact, I ran the race last year so it was familiar.

My initial plan was to get down there early, run the first 5K before the race, and then do the final miles in the race.  Well, I accidentally overslept and so that plan was foiled.  So I decided that I would run the race and then add on the extra 3 miles.

The course was different from last year.  The year before, we ran down Atlantic Ave. and then back down the Boardwalk.  This year the race was an out and back on the Boardwalk.  Both years were quite windy and it definitely made the "out" part tough, but gave an extra push on the return I guess.

Anyhow, last year I finished in 33:04.  And this year...
So, so, so close to that sub 30 minute 5k!  Shaved 2 min and 30 seconds off of my time from last year, but still not quite there.  I'm mad at myself because I walked at the mid-point turn around and two more times during the last mile.  I need to work on slowing down my running instead of walking.

Also, this is what I had for lunch.  Does anyone else make meals from whatever is laying around in the kitchen/fridge?  I knew that my lunch needed the following components: healthy carb, fat, fruit, and protein. And this is what I landed on.
It was totally delicious and I'd do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment